BEST VIEWED IN 1280 x 1024 SCREEN RESOLUTION! THANK YOU!

Monday, October 26, 2009

Ideas for the next project, etc.

So, in class we're all learning about old school photographic processes, and this weekend I came up with an idea for my project.

I'm really drawn to the cyanotypes and chrysotypes, because they were the first color processes invented. I like how the two are sort of opposed to each other - cyan versus red - how they balance each other out. The two are sort of like yin and yang - you can't have one without the other. So, I think I want to do a combination of the two, kind of a battle between cyan and cool tones and warm red tones. Does that make any sense? Probably not.

I've been doing some thinking on how blue makes people feel versus how red makes people feel, and what we associate blue and red with, how they differ. It appears that people often associate red with passion, emotion, and heat, while blue is sort of unemotional, cold, and logical. I hope that I am able to demonstrate this unique dichotomy with this project.

I think it will break down something like this (each bullet point is one image):

RED
-Heat/sunlight
-Warmth (emotional warmth - family, friends, etc.)
-Other human interaction (interpersonal)
-See above
-"Red light district" (you'll see what I mean - not as inappropriate as it sounds ;))

CYAN
-Machines/rust
-Metal structures
-Bugs/non-human organisms
-Isolation/coldness
-Emptiness/waiting for something

This is still a little shaky, obviously, but I hope that I'll be able to bring together the look of cyanotypes and chrysotypes and use the limiting qualities of these processes to my advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

Plainfield, IL, United States
I am an amateur portrait/fashion photographer who works in more of a colorful, surreal, somewhat 1970s style. My goal is to take beautiful pictures of people in a way that is different than any other portrait artist or fashion photographer. I am still trying to find my style, but I think it is getting more defined every day. Right now, I am a junior in high school. In college, I hope to music composition. Though as an adult I may not be a practicing photographer, I know that it will always be a huge part of my life, and the things I am learning now will influence me for the rest of my life.